With 3 dogs, 1 cat and a rabbit between us here at Pookinuk, we’re constantly on the look-out for cat & dog food products that will keep our furry friends in tip-top shape & health. Being strong believers in the old adage “you are what you eat”, we reckon this applies to our four-legged best friends as well! We’ve seen the benefits of an organic diet so surely dietary changes can help our pets too.
And I don’t think we’re alone in this. Since the Natural Balance brand disappeared, customers are constantly asking us about the availability of a replacement organic pet food.
Research suggests that organic foods have many benefits for pets. Without totally plagiarising from an American website that we’re always referencing (www.organicauthority.com), there are five key benefits:-
1) Reduction of skin ailments and allergies – because it’s free of artificial colors and flavor enhancers, chemical additives and toxic pesticides that could be the source of your pet’s allergies.
2) More energy and a healthy weight – dogs feel more satiated eating smaller amounts of tasty, nutrient-dense foods. An organic diet can help your pet lose weight, have more energy and therefore exercise more.
3) Fewer digestive disorders – easily digestible oats, barley or other natural whole grains and human-grade turkey, lamb or chicken make a huge difference to your pet’s digestive system. Rather than consuming corn or other bulk fillers and chemical additives, your pet will ingest only what it needs for healthy metabolic functioning.
4) Better overall health & stronger immunity – because an organic diet is more digestible, our pets are likely to absorb rather than eliminate more of the nutrients they require to maintain a healthy immune system. Boosting your pet’s immunity may help prevent costly infections and illnesses that require vet care.
5) Quality of life and longevity - a luxurious, shiny coat, energy to run and play, a healthy weight and a strong immune system can maximize your dog’s life expectancy and quality of life into old age.
OK it might be more expensive but it might help delete that even more expensive vet bill!
So, we’ve been on the look-out for a top quality organic product for quite some time and we’re excited to say that we think we’ve found it. Made by Castor & Pollux in the U.S., their Organix range meets all U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) requirements and it doesn’t have to be irradiated when it hits our shores (good thing!).
Organix pack shot - there's Adult dog, Puppy & Cat formulas
Organix dog & cat food products comply with all USDA National Organic Program requirements, which means that each and every ingredient in Organix including those that aren’t organic are reviewed and approved by an organic certifying agency that enforces all USDA requirements. Which means that the words “organic” or “‘certified organic” on the Organix labels are bona fide!
Organic ingredients must have no pesticides, no synthetic fertilizers, no antibiotics, no growth hormones, no bio-engineering (no GMOs). Certified organic, free-range chicken is the #1 ingredient in all the Organix dry formulas with organic brown rice, organic peas, organic carrots and organic flaxseed completing the mix for a wholesome, balanced diet. Buy it online and get it delivered to your door from Pookinuk Pet Supplies – we stock the Adult Dog, Puppy & Cat dry formulas as well as the canned range.
It comes in a 1.3kg bag which makes it easy to give it a try. See if you can see the organic difference and let us know what you think!